November 6, 2017
- Thank you to everyone who volunteered at our Halloween party and for all of your donations. The kids had fun and I really appreciated your help!
- Mrs. Krauss wants us to remind parents that drop off in the morning between 8:20 and 8:30am can take up to 5 minutes so please plan accordingly. We appreciate your partnership in ensuring student safety.
- Remember that there isn’t any school this Wednesday and Thursday due to conferences. We don’t have school on Friday due to Veteran’s Day. I look forward to conferencing with all of you!
- Homework this Week:
Veteran’s Day Stars (Please see the letter that went home today. We will not have any other homework or spelling test this week.)
- November 8th & 9th, Conferences, No School
- November 10th, No School, Honoring Veteran’s Day
- November 22nd, Early Release, 12:00
- November 23rd & 24th, Thanksgiving Break
- November 27th, 8:40-9:00, Monday Morning Prayer (Third Grade is planning this. Join us if you can.)
Math: This week we worked on multiplication concepts and fractions. We are learning several multiplication models to use as strategies to solve problems. During Number Corner, we are exploring adding and comparing fractions. We also wrote our own story problems on Halloween. We shared these stories in small groups the following day.
Writing: We continued writing narratives and also took a writing assessment. We enjoyed writing Christmas letters to soldiers with our first grade buddies as well. These letters will be mailed to them overseas.
Religion: We continued learning about the parts of the Mass. We were also sweet Saints during our All Saints Day Mass. We have been reading fun facts about the Saints. On Friday, we gathered in the gym to learn about Operation Christmas Child. I will send home a different letter explaining how our school is helping these children around the world. Look for a sign-up on our door during conferences to donate items.
Social Studies: We had an introduction to landforms. In fourth grade we will learn a lot more about landforms and geographical features. We also took a short quiz on map vocabulary.
Reading: We learned that when we can’t pronounce a word, we can skip the word and come back to it. That way we can gain meaning from the other words in the sentence to figure out the word. We also read in small groups with Mrs. Manfred and did some assessing as well.